MAPD – Mpumalanga Association of Persons with Disabilities
BACKGROUND OF THE ASSOCIATION
The Mpumalanga Association of Persons with Disabilities (MAPD) is a Non-Profit Organization situated in the heart of the capital city of Mpumalanga province. The organization was formed in 1994 with the aim of establishing a provincial structure, which would coordinate the regional structures serving people with disabilities. The association is affiliated to the National Council for People with Physical Disabilities in South Africa (NCPPDSA). We have 50 affiliated structures, which are made up of a regional branch situated in Emalahleni, 24 Protective Workshops, 19 Stimulation Centres and 7 Home Based Care Centres. The Association has established satellite offices in all three districts of Mpumalanga.
Our vision is a society for all, where persons with disabilities have equal opportunities to achieve their fullest potential and enjoy active participation and involvement that will help shape an inclusive society.
The Mpumalanga Association of Persons with Disabilities serves as a pro-active forum for the advancement of persons with disabilities so as to enable them to attain their maximum level of independence and integration into the community, and to prevent the occurrence of disablement.
Delivering Excellent Services to Persons with Disabilities
Mpumalanga APD employs the services of qualified Social Workers, and Auxiliary Social Workers in order to ensure the rendering of quality services to Persons with disability in Mpumalanga. The Social Development Staff is deployed to 4 satellite offices in the three districts of Mpumalanga from which we render social work services. Our Satellite offices are in Acornhoek, Nkomazi, Mpuluzi and Kwaggafontein. In each of these areas we have partners that affiliates to us to receive our professional Social Work Services. 50 Affiliated Structures including Protective Workshops, Stimulation Centres and Home Based Care projects with over 2000 persons with disabilities benefit from our services.
We help them with
- Social work services for persons with disabilities – assisting the person to function optimally in his or her environment
- Psychosocial support and counselling
- Facilitating access to mobility and assistive devices for persons with disability.
- Accessing services and support that persons with disabilities have a right to.
- Skills training and entrepreneurial development of Persons with disabilities
- Training and capacitation of their care staff
- Developing management committees of these centers to become fully functional, independent NPO
- Awareness raising on disability issues
- By admin
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org